An Artspaceprojects,Inc. Development
1871- School for Scandal Tremont Opera House
view North down Tremont Street circa 1890
North-West corner -E.S. Levy & Co.,circa 1920
The work begins...
left abandoned for 20 years with an open sky light acted as a
five story water fall during the heavy island storms and was home for many Galveston
pigeons. Demolition and clean up began in January 2000. Three months later we were left
with a skeleton of a building, structural system left in tack; except for some problem
areas caused by the years of neglect.
|View prior to Demolition
North West Exterior Castiron exposed
|Traces of a Past Life; uncovered and to be celebrated|
One this site, previous to the department store, stood the Tremont Opera House, built in 1870-71. Architect C. W. Bulgers intent was to remodel the Opera House for use as the Levy Department store. What actually happened was that the exterior supporting walls of the first floor were incorporated into the Levy building. The interior first floor was completely rebuilt.
"The Levy Building was built by an early Galveston business. The firm started in 1877 as a mens and boys clothing and furnishings store. In 1879 the company became known and E.S. Levy & Co. and remained in business until 1979 and was owned and operated by the Levy family. The firm built E.S. Levy & Co. building in 1896 and moved to the location in 1897. When built, this structure was the "first real office building in Galveston," according to the Tribune. The building was equipped with an elevator. The Levy store was on the first floor and there were 84 professional offices above. The fifth floor was added in 1900. Levy & Co. moved to the Postoffice Street location (2227 Postoffice) in 1917 and various businesses located the Levy building including Woolworths." After 1908, the Levy building was owned and occupied by various business interests of W. L. Moody, Jr., first the City National Bank and subsequently the National Hotel Company.
The original site of the first Levy store in Galveston was a 20-foot front store at 2217 Avenue D. The store began as a mens furnishings store. In 1900, E.S. Levy & Co. headed by Ed S. Levy, moved into the first floor of its new five-story building at 23rd and Market Streets. In 1917 the firm moved to the first floor of the building at 2227 Postoffice.
The U.S. Weather Bureaus Galveston office was in the Levy building at the time of the Great Storm of 1900, still the nations deadliest natural disaster. The Bureau was run by Isaac Cline, his forth station since joining the Weather Bureau in 1882. Weather instruments were installed and monitored on the roof and hurricane warning flags were flown there until both were whisked away by the high winds sometime on Saturday evening, September 8, 1900.
The building is identified with a leading Galveston family, and was designed by C.W. Bulger, architect of several major downtown structures; and visually has dominated this busy intersection since its construction.
|Studio Perspective||View of Loft|